An individual is eligible to be a candidate if they are:
- a Canadian citizen
- 18 years of age
- a resident of the NWT for the past 12 consecutive months
An individual is NOT eligible to be a candidate if they are:
- imprisoned in a correctional institution
- convicted of a Major Election Offence in the previous five years
- a sitting member of the Parliament of Canada or of a territorial or provincial legislative assembly
- the Chief Electoral Officer
Potential candidates should check their employer’s policy about running for public office.
For more information, contact the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer.
Elections NWT expects all candidates, official agents, campaign workers, and volunteers to behave respectfully and lawfully.
If a person believes that an unlawful electoral practice has occurred, a written complaint may be filed with the Chief Electoral Officer.