Elections NWT seeks interested applicants to contact us regarding the following positions in the upcoming Territorial General Election, on October 3, 2023:
Deputy Returning Officers
A Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) is appointed by a Returning Officer (RO) for the electoral district they represent. DROs are single-day officers, reporting to their respective ROs. They help administer the polling process at Advance Polls and on Ordinary Polling Day. On polling day, their job is to provide eligible voters with a ballot and ensure they cast their ballot according to the correct procedures. When the polls close, they help count the ballots at their station and report the results.
DROs are also responsible for:
- receiving, and ensuring the security of, all poll supplies and ballots before, during and after polling day;
- examining electors’ personal identification to determine eligibility;
- administering the Oath of Elector as required;
- issuing ballots;
- ensuring the integrity of all aspects of the polling process;
- closing and counting the poll;
- reporting the results to the designated election official; and
- ensuring the ballot box is secure and returned to the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer.
If you are interested in serving as a Deputy Returning Officer, please contact us at info@electionsNWT.ca, or call 1-844-767-9100.
A Poll Clerk is appointed by a Returning Officer (RO). Poll Clerks report to and assist the Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) throughout the polling process, providing clerical support to the Deputy Returning Officer. Some of the key activities carried out by a Poll Clerk are:
- striking voters’ names off the official List of Electors;
- entering voters’ names in the poll book;
- collecting Oath of Elector forms; and
- assisting the Deputy Returning Officer with closing and counting the poll.
If you are interested in serving as a Poll Clerk, please contact us at info@electionsNWT.ca, or call 1-844-767-9100.