Are you interested in becoming a Returning Officer?
Elections NWT is looking for Returning Officers for the electoral districts of Nahendeh, Thebacha, and Sahtu..
If you are interested in becoming a Returning Officer, submit an expression of interest and your resume to email@example.com, and clearly indicate the Electoral District where you would like to serve.
What does a Returning Officer do?
The Returning Officer is responsible for the preparation and execution of all electoral events in their district including general elections, by-elections and plebiscites. This includes organizing and managing election workers and polling locations; assisting Candidates, Official Agents, and electors; and reporting election results.
During an election, Returning Officers will get questions from Candidates, Official Agents and members of the public. Returning Officers are responsible for providing information about campaigning and voting that is accurate and in accordance with the law.
A Returning Officer is also responsible for their team of election workers. This includes appointing an Assistant Returning Officer who they will work with on a daily basis, as well as polling day workers such as Deputy Returning Officers and Poll Clerks. The Returning Officer is responsible for managing the activities carried out by these workers and provides support and guidance throughout the election period.
A Returning Officer works closely with the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer to help people understand the electoral process and uphold the integrity of the electoral system.
Some of the expected duties of a Returning Officer are:
- appointing election workers
- dividing the electoral district into polling divisions
- revising the voters list
- approving candidate nominations
- directing the administration of the ballot
- conducting an official addition of the votes cast for each candidate
Some of the key skills and abilities a Returning Officer must possess:
- Advanced computer skills, including a willingness to learn custom developed software
- Political neutrality
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to be a team player, but also capable of working independently
- Good organization and time management skills
- Ability to think strategically and prioritize tasks
For more information, contact Elections NWT.