Menu Search


When to File a Complaint

Elections NWT expects all participants in an election to behave respectfully and lawfully.

If a person believes that someone has broken an election law, a written complaint may be filed with the Chief Electoral Officer.

The Chief Electoral Officer will review all written complaints and decide if an investigation is warranted based on the evidence provided.

A written complaint must be submitted within 6 months after the day on which the offence is alleged to have occurred.

How to File a Complaint

If you have reason to believe that there has been a violation of the Elections and Plebiscites Act, you may file a written complaint with the Chief Electoral Officer.

You are asked to provide:

  • Your name, address, telephone number, and (if applicable) your email address;
  • a factual description of the matter including dates, circumstances, and the actions or inactions that you believe may be an offence;
  • the section of the Elections and Plebiscites Act that you believe has been violated; and
  • copies of any documents you believe to be relevant.

Submitting by Regular Mail

Send the written complaint and copies of all documentation to:

The Chief Electoral Officer of the NWT
#7, 4915 – 48th Street
Yellowknife, NT X1A 3S4

Submitting by Email

Attach the written complaint and electronic copies of all documentation to:

Be sure to include a title relating to the nature of the complaint in the subject line of the email.