Menu Search

Students and Youth

Students & Youth

Elections NWT encourages the development of engaged and aware young voters, through initiatives that demystify the democratic process while revealing the benefits of participation. Providing students with first-hand experiences through programs such as Kids Vote – in which students across the NWT participate in a mock election contest between iconic northern animals – helps youth develop the lifelong habits of informed citizens. The Future Voters initiative allows youth 16 and older to register themselves with Elections NWT, which then automatically moves them to the official Voters List when they turn 18 and can legally vote. To learn more about how to register as a future voter email

You may be unable to make it to the polls on Election Day because you are attending school outside the territory, or for other reasons. But there are several other opportunities to vote. To see them, visit Voting Opportunities.

Student FAQ

I’m a student. Can I vote?

You can vote in the Northwest Territories General Election if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • 18 or older on General Voting Day; and
  • have been a resident of the NWT for 6 months in a row as of election day.

Do I need to be registered to vote?

Yes. Registration is necessary to ensure election results are fair, honest, and genuinely representative of the will of the electorate. Registration is quick, and you can do it online.

What is a Future Voter?

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can register as a Future Voter, to be automatically added to the Territorial Voters List when you turn 18.  To be eligible as a Future Voter, you must be:

  • 16 or 17 years old;
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • a resident of the NWT.

Contact us at to add yourself to the Future Voters List.

What ID do I need?

One Piece of ID:
NWT Drivers License or General ID Card

Two Pieces of ID:
One that shows your name (e.g., Health Card, Library Card)
One that shows your address (e.g., Utility Bill, Lease)

See our website for a full list of acceptable Identification documents.

I attend school at an out-of-territory campus, and won’t be in the NWT for Election Day. How do I vote?  

If you are a student from the NWT attending school anywhere outside of the NWT’s borders, and are eligible to vote in the NWT (see above), you may register and vote in the electoral district you live in when you’re not at school. After August 21, 2023, you can do this remotely by applying for an absentee ballot here. It’s a quick process, and you can then choose to cast your absentee ballot online or by mail.

I’m looking for work. How can I apply to work in the election?

Visit our Employment Opportunities page or contact us at to learn more about opportunities in your region.