Elections NWT has been planning and preparing for a variety of situations resulting from the ongoing COVID 19 pandemic in its preparations for the Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh by-election. With the Office of the Chief Public Health Officer (OCPHO) announcing this weekend that the omicron variant has been detected in the Northwest Territories, Elections NWT is implementing its contingency plan for COVID-19 preparedness.
Given this recent news, the Chief Electoral Officer has made the decision under sections 9(1) and 9.1(1) to move the Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh election to an entirely mail-in ballot format, and will issue instructions to the Returning Officer to this effect the day the writ of the by-election is issued. This decision is made to ensure the health and safety of the public and of election workers, and to maintain the effective and efficient running of this by-election.
It is of the utmost importance for Elections NWT to ensure the Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh by-election is run in the safest manner possible, while staying in compliance with the Elections and Plebiscites Act and following the public health orders from OCPHO.
All Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh electors who are registered on the voters list as of January 14, 2022 will be mailed a ballot. All electors are encouraged to confirm they are on the voters list. Anyone who registers on the list after January 14, 2022 must be registered by January 29, 2022 to ensure that they receive a ballot in time to cast their vote. All ballots must be received by 8pm, February 8, 2022.
“Elections NWT ensures the effective and efficient operations of an election. However, the health and safety of the public and elections staff has been top-of mind for us in the preparation for the by-election. The decision to move to a mail-in-ballot election was made with health and safety at the forefront and is the best option to ensure that the election can proceed in the safest manner possible.”
-Stephen Dunbar, Chief Electoral Officer
- Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh electors who are not currently on the voters list can register to vote until 2:00 p.m. January 29, 2022.
- Nomination deadline is January 14, 2022, at 2:00 p.m., nominations cannot be received after this time.
- Election day for Tu Nedhé-Wiilideh is February 8, 2021.
- You are eligible to be an elector if:
- You are 18 years of age on or before ordinary polling day.
- You are a Canadian Citizen
- You have been a resident of the NWT for 6 consecutive months as of ordinary polling day.
- For anyone who would like to put their name forward to run, the nomination process and information can be found at https://www.electionsnwt.ca/en/nomination-process
- If you need to register to vote or want to check to see if you are on the voter’s list, information is available at https://www.electionsnwt.ca/en/voter-registration
- COVID-19 - Current Public Health Orders
For more information, please contact:
Deputy Chief Electoral Officer, Elections NWT
867.767.9100 ext. 16010